Institute of Systems and Physical Biology
Junior Principal Investigator
Home page of research group：http://houlab.szbl.ac.cn/
2021 - Present
Shenzhen Bay Laboratory Junior Principal Investigator
2020 - 2021
Duke University Research Associate
2015 - 2020
Duke University Postdoctoral researcher
2010 - 2015
Shanghai Institute of Applied Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences Ph.D.
2006 - 2010
Soochow University B.E
Our research focuses on developing next-generation high spatiotemporal resolution 3D imaging techniques and using them to explore the mystery of the complex biological system.
1. High spatiotemporal resolution 3D imaging
2. Multiscale 3D microscopy
3. Biological application of high spatiotemporal resolution 3D imaging microscopy
Dr. Hou’s research focuses on high spatiotemporal resolution 3D-imaging. We developed a series of real-time 3D tracking techniques, including: (1) developed a high-speed real-time 3D single particle tracking microscopy; (2) developed a precision adaptive 3D tracking microscopy for studying the heterogenous biological events; (3) developed a real-time 3D single molecule tracking microscopy with tracking duration time 100 times longer than previously reported methods. Shangguo’s work has been published in many high impact journals including Nature Communications, Small, Optics Letters and Optics Express. He has been a member of American Biophysical Society and American Association for the Advancement of Science since 2016 and 2019, respectively.
a. (top) Schematic of real-time 3D single particle tracking microscopy; (bottom) single quantum dot tracking in water solution. b. Study the early-stage virus landing on cell membrane process with precision adaptive 3D tracking. c. Track the single fluorescent molecule in 90% glycerol solution with 3D-SMART. The tracking duration time can reach to 160 seconds.
2020 Most Outstanding Postdoc Speaker of the Fitzpatrick Institute for Photonics, Duke University
2019 On being nominated for the 2019 Outstanding Postdoc at Duke University award
2015 Graduation with honor: Graduate Excellence Award of Shanghai
1. Shangguo Hou, Jack Exell, Kevin Welsher. Real-time 3D Single Molecule Tracking. Nature Communications, 2020, 11, 3607
2. Shangguo Hou, Kevin Welsher. An Adaptive Real-Time 3D Single Particle Tracking Method for Monitoring Viral First Contacts. Small, 2019, 15, 1903039
3. Shangguo Hou, Xiaoqi Lang, Kevin Welsher. Robust real-time 3D single-particle tracking using a dynamically moving laser spot. Optics Letters, 2017, 42, 2390-2393.
4. Shangguo Hou†, Jianfang Chen†, Suhui Deng, Fei Wang, Qing Huang, Ya Cheng, Chunhai Fan. Improved resolution in fluorescence microscopy with the FRET pairs by time gating. Optics Express, 2015, 23, 13121-13129
5. Shangguo Hou, Le Liang, Suhui Deng, Jianfang Chen, Qing Huang, Ya Cheng, Chunhai Fan. Nanoprobes for super-resolution fluorescence imaging at the nanoscale. SCIENCE CHINA Chemistry, 2014, 57, 100-106.