Institute of Biomedical Engineering
Junior Principal Investigator
Home page of research group：http://guzheng-lab.szbl.ac.cn/
2020 - Present
Shenzhen Bay Laboratory Junior Principal Investigator
2017.07 - 2020.09
UCLA Project Scientist
2015.11 - 2020.06
Sofie Biosciences Senior Imaging Scientist
2015.12 - 2017.06
UCLA Associate Project Scientist
2014.10 - 2015.11
UCLA Postdoctoral Researcher
2009 - 2014
2004 - 2008
Tsinghua University Bachelor
Zheng Gu’s research focuses on the design, development and optimization of instrumentation and methodologies for high resolution, high sensitivity, quantitative in-vivo preclinical positron emission tomography (PET) imaging.
Zheng Gu received the Bachelor’s degree at Tsinghua University in 2008, and received the PhD degree at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) in 2014. From 2014 to 2020, Zheng Gu was a Postdoctoral Researcher, Associate Project Scientist, and Project Scientist in the Imaging Science Lab at UCLA. Zheng Gu was the key contributor to the PETbox4 and the HiPET projects, which created two high performance prototype preclinical PET tomographs. Zheng Gu was the key inventor for the novel multi-resolution detector technology used in the HiPET project (United States Patent US 10,234,572 B2).
From 2015 to 2020, Zheng Gu also worked as a senior imaging scientist for Sofie, Inc, where Zheng Gu contributed to the translation of the PETbox4 and HiPET technologies to Sofie’s three commercial product lines (G4 PET/X-RAY, G8 PET/CT and GNEXT PET/CT scanners). Over the past decade more than 60 units G4, G8 and GNEXT scanners have been installed worldwide, and researchers have published over 100 scientific papers with images and data acquired from these scanners.
(a) A photograph of the entire PETbox4 bench top prototype PET system; (b) The commercial scanner G8 PET/CT by Sofie Biosciences, Inc. translated from the PETbox4 technologies.
(a) Photograph of the HiPET system installed at the Preclinical Imaging Technology Center at UCLA; (b) The commercial scanner GNEXT PET/CT by Sofie Biosciences, Inc. translated from the HiPET technologies.
• 2005~2006 First Prize of Excellent Academic Performance Scholarship, Tsinghua University
• 2006~2007 Prize of Comprehensive Excellence Scholarship, Tsinghua University
• 2009~2010 UCLA Chancellor’s Prize
• 2010 UCLA Molecular and Medical Pharmacology Travel Award
• 2013~2014 Graduate Division Unrestricted Fellowship
1. Gu Z, Taschereau R, Vu N, Prout D L, Lee J and Chatziioannou A F, 2020 Performance evaluation of HiPET, a high sensitivity and high resolution preclinical PET tomograph, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 65 045009.
2. Gu Z, Taschereau R, Vu N, Prout D L, Silverman R W, Lee J and Chatziioannou A F, 2019 Performance evaluation of G8, a high sensitivity benchtop preclinical PET/CT tomograph, The Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 60, pp. 142-9.
3. Gu Z, Prout D L, Taschereau R, Bai B and Chatziioannou A F, 2016 A New Pulse Pileup Rejection Method Based on Position Shift Identification, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, vol. 63, pp. 22-9.
4. Gu Z, Prout D L, Silverman R W, Herman H, Dooraghi A and Chatziioannou A F, 2015 A DOI Detector With Crystal Scatter Identification Capability for High Sensitivity and High Spatial Resolution PET Imaging IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science vol. 62, pp. 740-7.
5. Gu Z, Taschereau R, Vu N T, Wang H, Prout D L, Silverman R W, Bai B, Stout D B, Phelps M E and Chatziioannou A F 2013 NEMA NU-4 performance evaluation of PETbox4, a high sensitivity dedicated PET preclinical tomograph Physics in Medicine and Biology 58 3791-814.